Sunday, March 19, 2006

Lonesome Roads

Time to have you vote and comment on two versions of one my songs. Just before I came down to Arizona I wrote and recorded a rough version of 'Lonesome Roads' that was a short and simple, slow, sort of country-ish song (more folk than country, probably). I've gotten kind of bored with playing it slow so recorded a faster version of it today in my hotel room and want to see what you all think is better. I've spent hardly any time with either version and of course the recording quality of the newer, faster one is really bad, so don't comment on sound/engineering quality, of course. Let me know which you think sounds better (or 'could' sound better if someone w/ talent was playin' and singin' ;) ).

Slow version recorded back home in MN:
http://www.box.net/public/static/9qh9bme3my.mp3

Faster version recorded in AZ hotel room:
http://www.box.net/public/static/iurxflssru.mp3

8 comments:

EricBerget said...

i think i am going to have to go with the faster one. Especially with just the guitar, no filling sound or percussion. I really like the pace you've got there.

Daniel Kent said...

Great song. I recommend calling it "Anywhere But Here." You now have 3 songs for your debut album. I'll fax contracts to you immediately. We'll need a PR photo... maybe a slighlty forlorn expression, a mildly hopeful posture, and a cigarette (for the younger crowd).

Neil said...

You didn't vote, Dan! But I agree, I should probably start smoking to improve my image :).

You must have missed the "Lonesome Roads" is the title part somehow.. And by my count I have 6 songs.

Daniel Kent said...

Well... going against my default preference for faster songs... I like the slower version better. It gives the lyrics a moment to set in. However, once I knew the song, I'd probably want it to go faster. I don't know. I DO know that I really like the way the phrase "anywhere but here" fits into the song, and kicks into the chorus. And what a great song name.

I really like 3 of the songs I have of yours. I'll have to find the others.

Neil said...

Thanks Jeremiah,
It's definitely a harmonica song..When I record it better when I'm back home in MN it'll have more of it I'm sure.

Jeremy Berg said...

Tough call. I can feel a faster paced 'pickin' version surpassing both of these - especially with some light percussion backing it all up. But you'll have to run that by Dan your producer.

PS: Your strumming has improved. Keep it up!

Neil said...

This might be a good song to finally start learning the banjo for actually. I think used subtely it would sound pretty cool.

Daniel Kent said...

I was TOTALLY imagining a steel guitar or banjo in this song! I think you are absoloutely correct. But, if you play the banjo, you'll definately have to start smoking or we will certainly lose the young crowd.