Thursday, February 23, 2006

Phoenix Rock Gym

First full day here today. I decided to take the day off and just relax before hitting work tomorrow. After dropping Graham off at the airport I drove over to check out the Phoenix Rock Gym. It's only a few minutes from where I'm staying and not as expensive as AZ on the Rocks. I wasn't impressed with the bouldering there at all. It's a huge gym and they have just one pretty much square room for boulderers. Most of it is just vertical walls too. They use the "D" scale for grades. I saw D1-D7 problems and according to the conversion chart, you have to get to D4 before you get up to V1 and by the time you're at D6, you're climbing V5. Since it was mostly vertical, pretty much all the routes were balancey, crimpy things to get up. Oh well, I complain, but it is still climbing and I got a good workout. Hung out with some cool people as well and even ran into a couple of guys I had met out at Oak Flats last time I was here last month. I'll probably still go there sometimes when I don't feel like driving all the way up to Scottsdale to AZ on the Rocks. I also bought a guide for another area out by Oak Flats that I'll check out on Saturday.

Here's home for the next two months:

1 comment:

Daniel Kent said...

Hey. I'm coming out on Thursday the 9th. I'll bring my climbing boots.