Monday, January 14, 2008

Hueco Tanks Day 1

We've all made it to Hueco. Eric Johnson, Chad Johnson, Nic Oklobzija and myself met up with Dan and Andy Kolar and our trip has begun. On Sunday (the 13th) we started the trip with a circuit of amazing easier problems. I commented after the day was over that this day was probably the greatest climbing day of my life as measured by sheer number of mega-classic problems done for the first time on a single day.

We started by doing the V0 problem Melon Patch. This is a tall, beautiful face covered in large jug huecos and was the perfect way to start the trip:


After this we hiked over to check out the Terremer/Diaphanous Sea cave to look at the amazingly small holds on Terremer. We then did a V1 highball slab problem called Hershey's Symphony:

We all did this one a couple times and Nic started working the moves to Diaphanous Sea:

After this we walked over and did the V3 Sign of the Cross. I was very psyched to flash this one.

After this, we went over to check out the V10 Power of Silence and Nic started trying it. He almost did it his second try of this trip, getting into the left hand gaston slot and falling going for the top. I'm sure he'll get this one soon.

After this, we hiked up the chains and all did the V2 roof problem Nobody Gets Out of Here Alive. Very fun moves on jug holds out a horizontal roof:

We then went and did the super long, amazing V2 problem Ghetto Simulator. Props to Chad for flashing this one. I got too pumped my first try but did it second go. It is the longest ropeless problem I've ever done. But it parallels a big slab behind you the whole way that if you get into trouble you can step off at any time.

After this we headed up to the Baby Face area. Eric did a V6 problem in about 2 tries called Daily Dick Dose that he has worked in years past and made it look easy:

I gave Baby Face a few tries and am really psyched to do this one. I think when I come back fresh I will do it right away (hopefully!). This is probably the best V7 I've ever seen:

All in all an amazing start...

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Sounds like Nic gave you guys the same first day tour as us...and Dick Dose is a 7 in the book!