Saturday, March 04, 2006

Oak Flats Trip #2

 
I made it out to Oak Flats for the second time this trip today (3rd time ever -- I went back in January as well when I was down). Had a fun time again, but man, this rock is brutal on my fingers. Here's a picture of me on my new Davy Jones' Locker project (DJL Project #2). Not the best picture b/c of the sun creeping over the top of the boulder and I had to do it w/ the timer but it's a crimp climb up an overhanging bulge. Took me about 10 tries to do the first move. It demanded pretty precise footwork for me to stick the second hold. I got close to sticking the second move -- would hit it for a second and bust off.

I made good progress on DJL Project #1 which I posted a picture of last week. Made it two moves further so I know I can do the problem. It's kind of freakin' me out doing this one by myself, though. It's overhanging and there's a big rock right behind it so the higher you go the more likely it feels like you'll hit the rock on the way down. It would be nice to have a spotter sitting on it.

I also walked around alot more after I was done climbing and am getting a better feel for the lay of the land. Found another one of the climbing areas. I forgot the guide today so don't know yet what that area was called. 

Here's another picture of the new project:


And a shot of the area:

2 comments:

Daniel Kent said...

Okay... When I'm out there I just want to find a big rock to climb to the top of. You know? Put my hands in the air in euphoric victory, like on motivational posters? Is that so wrong?

Neil said...

Someday you'll see that the journey to the top is the reward, and not the top :) -- I'll show you plenty of big rocks you can climb to the top of, I'll even take a picture of you while you're up there and give you a copy and you can make you're own motivational poster out of it.

Be sure to bring some shoes you can hike in as well as climbing shoes and a small backpack would be a good idea too.