Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Atlanta Lifetime Routesetting

Nic and myself have been in Atlanta since Saturday night working on a routesetting job for a brand new Lifetime Fitness... First time I've done this (at this scale -- I've set a few routes here and there before). Quite an immense job this has turned out to be. We arrived to find 18 70 pound boxes of holds - over 1200 pounds of holds and 300 pounds of bolts that we had to carry in from outside a box at a time and then open and prepare for setting:
Lifetime Fitness Routesetting
Lifetime Fitness Routesetting
We had 44 routes to set from 5.5 to 5.11 so it was over 3 days of hanging from my harness developing cuts and abrasions on my legs and trying to haul myself up ropes with a gri-gri and climbing through 30 feet of scaffolding behind the wall when setting the ropes. Pulled up on so many holds that I completely trashed a brand new pair of pretty decent work gloves.
Lifetime Fitness Routesetting

I think we're finally done now -- just to have to go back tomorrow morning for the final check-off and help with some clean-up. I lost my phone there and am hoping to find it tomorrow. Should hopefully be climbing in Rocktown by tomorrow afternoon.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

That looks exhausting! Still got energy left to climb?

Climbing Narcissist said...

I think it is safe to say that 1200 lbs of new holds is a routesetters dream come true until you have to put them all up onto a wall in some sort of coordinated fashion.

Neil said...

Also -- once you realize you'll climb none of these routes other than about 2 moves at a time while setting them, it loses the mystique pretty quickly.

Climbing Narcissist said...

no doubt...hopefully you were at least getting paid

Neil said...

definitely.