Saturday, May 12, 2007

Joe's Valley 5/11/2007

Yesterday I spent most of the day just hanging out at the Food Ranch and then up in Price trying to rest and stay out of the heat since it's getting hotter and climbing in mid-day is pretty much impossible. At about 8 pm or so though the sun had fallen below the valley rim and the temps were feeling pretty good so we all headed up to the Moby Dick area to try the problems up there - primarily Team Effort.

After warming up on Skins Game (and unexpectedly blowing off one of the high crimps taking my worst fall in Joe's so far-on a warmup) I went to work on Team Effort (V8 in book, probably easier though). I tried this line a bit on my last trip but had new beta now involving a heel hook to make a huge reach move. This actually worked pretty well and although I still had some figuring out to do I am now able to make the huge reach move every time. The topout moves are still quite hard - and scary - so I did not send the problem, however. I am psyched to go back to it fresh one of these days and try again, however. I think I only have to pull one more move and it's over.

After working Team Effort until it got really dark, we all grabbed headlamps and headed up to try Moby Dick - a classic V6. I hadn't been that impressed by this line but after resting a bit I started working on it and it actually climbs really fun. Got all the moves worked out except the top-out again but I see how to do that now so also believe this will go pretty easily when I'm fresh.

By the time we were all done trying Moby Dick it was about 10:30 so everyone headed back. I still felt like I had some energy though and wanted to try a fun looking V1 on the UMWA boulder which is right off the road pretty close to our campsite. I talked Josh into coming with and I climbed it (don't have the name with me). It was really fun - so I least climbed one boulder problem yesterday :) After that I tried Walrus again but only gave it 3 burns before realizing I was again way too tired to do it.

All in all a great evening into night bouldering session last night. Didn't get any good pictures.. Today I'll probably head up with Josh to check out the Price Canyon boulders but I doubt I'll climb on anything. Feeling quite beat today.

Here's one of Josh's pictures of me on Team Effort:

and of of Moby Dick:

No comments: